Sunday, July 22, 2012

Lamb Shoulder

I think my cooking has come a long way, but I'm still not ready to trust myself with a really fine, expensive piece of meat.  When it comes to lamb, so far I've stuck to ground or, for this post, shoulder.  That link is more walkthrough than specific formula, but here's what I've done:

The Recipe

lamb shoulder chops
onion, chopped
baby carrots, chopped
mushrooms, chopped
a few cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup red wine
1 can crushed tomatoes

Season your chops with salt and pepper, and brown over high in a skillet.  Set aside; lower heat, then cook up your vegetables in the same skillet.  Once they're cooked and soft, add the red wine.  Reduce a bit, then add the tomatoes and plop the lamb (and juices) back in.  Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the meat is tender.  Once the meat is done, set aside again and reduce the sauce down.

Notes

This recipe does involve some serious chopping (onion, carrot and garlic; think we've added some mushrooms too) and takes a while to stew (I used red wine; not sure why you'd use white with lamb and tomatoes).  But it seems pretty hard to mess up, and done anywhere close to right both the chops and the sauce come out so rich at the end.  Like the walkthrough explains, it's good on its own or over pasta.

Not my best photographic work, but I swear the taste was all there!  Doesn't the sauce at least look awesome:


No comments:

Post a Comment