Thursday, September 4, 2014

Zesty Shrimp Penne

One of my favorite reasons to cook is to mix up what I'm eating, especially getting some seafood into the diet.  While I'm not a big shrimp fan, this recipe looked worth a shot (and a trip to Whole Foods to actually get some of the critters).

Recipe

1 lb shrimp, shelled and de-veined
1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups penne

Combine the olive oil, cheese, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes.  Add to a Ziploc bag with the shrimp and coat thoroughly.  Marinate for at least 30 minutes (but plenty more if you have time).

Later on...  Get your pasta going.  About halfway through, Heat a skillet and add the contents of the bag.  Cook the shrimp until done, a few minutes each side.  Toss in the pasta (and some pepper never hurts) and serve.

Notes

As with other recent pasta experiments, I was worried about the amount of sauce going on the pasta.  As I poured in the penne, I wondered if I'd missed something and if I'd just be eating plain pasta with some shrimp tossed in.  I shouldn't have.  The pasta soaks up the rich, oily marinade and just gives you mouthfuls of flavor (you can see the sheen in the picture).  This recipe packs a lot of punch for relatively few, easy ingredients and steps - a nice combination of salty and a little sweetness.  Might become a go-to recipe when I feel like splurging on (pre-shelled and de-veined) shrimp!


No comments:

Post a Comment