Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Crockpot Greek-Style Lamb

I've had this crockpot recipe earmarked for a while, but a big leg of lamb is hard to find nearby, and expensive...  Poor ol' Key Foods is having meat fridge issues, though, so I made a Whole Foods run.  Nothing wrong with their meat section, except still expensive I guess...

Recipe
Lamb
4-6 lb leg of lamb
zest & juice of 1 lemon
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp dried oregano
salt & pepper

Rub the lamb with salt & pepper, then olive oil, then oregano.  Put it in your crockpot and sprinkle over the lemon and garlic cloves.  Cover and cook for 4-5 hours (add at least an hour if it's a bone-in roast).  Shred the lamb by hand/forks on a cutting board.  Pour the juices into a saucepan and reduce by half.  Mix back in with the lamb.

Pitas
1-2 c Greek yogurt
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
spinach, olives, bell pepper, feta, etc.
pitas (original recipe says tortillas, but seriously?)

Stir together the yogurt, lemon, onion and garlic.  Chop the veggies.  Stuff in pitas with meat.

Notes

I was worried that the crockpot wouldn't get the best out of a fine piece of meat like a leg of lamb.  It was tough to leave it sitting out all day while I was at work...  Maybe another time I'll stick around and roast it, but no regrets this time.  I was also on the fence about part two of the recipe.  That yogurt sauce is great, though, and it's a good produce accompaniment.  So it was one of my more expensive dishes, definitely, but so far I've gotten a handful of good meals out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment