Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Thai-Style Minced Chicken

The first time I encountered ground chicken, I was kind of grossed out.  However, add enough Asian sauces and spices and it turns out I'll enjoy myself pretty thoroughly.  I've made this recipe twice now, both times doing about the same thing for the main componentry but taking the rest of the meal, fixin's and whatnot, in very different directions.  See below for notes.

The Recipe

1 lb ground chicken
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 cup basil, sliced
peanut (or sesame) oil

Heat a tbsp of oil over high, then add onion, then bell pepper for a minute or two each, then garlic briefly.  Set aside, and heat two more tbsp of oil and lightly brown the chicken.  Stir in the veggies and jalapenos, then soy sauce, then fish sauce, then basil.  Serve over rice.

Notes

For the stir-fried chicken, I've generally started with sesame oil in place of peanut oil in the spirit of using what I have on hand.  I'm not sure exactly how they expect the onion and pepper to be cut (small but not too small?), but there isn't really a wrong way, maybe just a slower one...

The last instruction they give is to serve over rice.  I've done that, and it got pretty positive feedback.  Originally, though, I'd kind of leaned toward a Latin fusion approach, subbing in turkey as a New World fowl and serving (to myself) in tortillas.  I only thought to capture that approach on camera:


No comments:

Post a Comment