Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Broiled Salmon with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Coming to you from the domestic goddess who is Gwyneth Paltrow, I present the greatest way to cook salmon EVER...(pic coming soon!!)

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
3 tbsp honey
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated ginger
2 sprigs fresh cilantro
4 6 oz. salmon fillets, skin discarded
1 tbsp finely minced fresh chives

Combine the soy sauce, mirin, honey, water, ginger and cilantro in a small saucepan over high heat. Once it boils, turn heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes.  Remove saucepan from heat and let sauce cool down.  Once it's cool, pour into large bowl or plastic bag and add salmon.  Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, up to overnight.

When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler.  Put the salmon on a heavy baking sheet with whatever sauce adheres to it and broil until cooked to your liking, around 10 minutes.  While it's cooking, put extra sauce into clean saucepan, bring to a boil and let it reduce.  To serve, drizzle the salmon with the extra sauce and sprinkle some chives on top.

NOTES:  I am lazy--therefore I buy jars of pre-grated ginger.  I'm a fan of really seeing and tasting the ginger in each bite, so I probably double the amount.  I always forget the cilantro and I don't think the dish suffers for it.  The chives are, in my opinion, more necessary.  I cannot express how good this sauce is--as it cooks is gets all caramelized and gooey (makes pan cleanup a B*TCH if you cook it too long FYI) I want to try it on chicken and eggplant soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment