Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chicken Piccata

Here at Cannibal Stew, we apparently like our chicken (tastes like chicken?).  Well, here's another one, courtesy of a friend of a sister, I think...  Chicken piccata, though of uncertain translation, is basically a breaded chicken cutlet with a lemon-butter-white wine-caper sauce.  A little more elaborate as a chicken entree, but reasonable and rewarding!

The Recipe

6-10 medium-sized chicken breasts or thighs (skinless/boneless)
bread crumbs
1-2 cloves garlic
2-3 lemons
3/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup capers
olive oil, butter, salt & pepper

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, and coat with bread crumbs.  Heat a few tbsps of oil over medium high and add garlic.  Next you cook the chicken in single layers and cook for about 3 minutes per side.  Once it's all done, it goes into baking dishes.  Sprinkle the zest of a lemon over the top and set aside while you whip up the sauce.  Without cleaning your pan, add lemon juice and white wine, then a tbsp butter and the capers.  Scrape/stir and heat for a few minutes, then pour over the chicken and cook at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Notes

Well, I'm not a classy enough guy to just have some white wine lying around, so I subbed in a splash of the Chardonnay of beers: Stella Artois.  I was a little worried, but as soon as I tasted the sauce I realized there were no ill effects.  Whatever you use, you'll want a generous amount of that sauce.  I also thought my chicken (thighs) might be a little smaller than the recipe calls for, so I left them in the oven for more like 15 mintues, which was probably the very bottom end of doneness...  I was too lazy to make pasta, so here's the finished product on a bed of greens:


No comments:

Post a Comment