Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Mushroom "Clam" Chowder

 OK so Anne & I eat a lot of southwestern food. And who can complain? Burritos are delicious, and we're in the right region for it to feel authentic (even the vegan version). But when I saw this recipe, I thought it was worth trying for something New England-y...

Recipe

  • 12 oz mushrooms, rough chopped
  • 4 potatoes, cubed
  • 1 sheet sushi nori (we just used seaweed snacks...)
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 4 c non-dairy milk (forget what we used - soy, almond, or oat...)
  • optional: green onion tops, old bay seasoning
Boil the potatoes 5-10 minutes to give them a head start. Meanwhile, saute mushrooms and green onion, and add the potatoes when they're done. Shred the nori and in it goes, then the flour - stir it all up so everything's coated in flour. Add the milk & old bay and boil for 5 minutes, then simmer 5-10 until it's at the right consistency.

Notes

While I wasn't convinced I was eating authentic New England clam chowder, I was pretty happy with how this came out. It was a bit on the thick side, so might try less flour or cook time.



No comments:

Post a Comment